Friday, July 6, 2007

2 Ways To Know I'm In Kenya

1. Construction work at the orphanage was temporarily suspended today because of a huge mound of biting ants in the hole where we're building a wall.

2. This afternoon we stepped out of the town hospital onto the street and were immediately almost trampled by a massive herd of goats, cows, and bulls.

Oh my.

In case you're worried now, no one was bitten by ants or trampled by cows, and the only reason we went to the hospital was to get an earache prescription for my roomie. I just thought those were both funny examples of the fact that I'm actually here! Every now and then I have to remind myself again.

This week's been relatively normal, lots of construction, cooking/chores, playing with kids, teaching, and all that. The highlight was going out for a traditional Kenyan meal with our host for the 4th of July. The food was great, and everyone had an excellent time! Edward (host/orphanage founder) is one of the most hilarious men I have ever met in my life. He made Chris (our group leader) get up and give the whole restaurant a speech about what US Independence Day is. It seems like no matter how many times Chris has to get up and talk spontaneously he's always surprised by it, so his facial expressions are always priceless. After the restaurant we went to the bar and met 3 of the Kenyan construction workers doing the project with us. They're all great guys too. All in all an awesome night. Another highlight of work is playing with the 2 special ed boys at the orphanage while we do construction. The other kids are in school, but these two, Joel and John, are always around. They know limited English and have different mental disabilities (if i had to guess I'd say Joel is autistic and John has hardcore ADHD) , but they're so fun!!!!! They provide so much entertainment for us while we work, singing, dancing, stealing our tools, all this stuff. So funny, I love them.

We're staying around town this weekend, going to some people's houses and hopefully some of us to the Methodist Church on Sunday. I'm also looking forward to just sleeping in and hanging out as a group. Working and meeting people is great, but tiring!

We've made a basic plan for our group travel which I'm pumped about! After our farewell party on July 30 we'll be heading to Lake Naivasha in the Rift Valley for a couple nights, then straight to the coast! Mombasa and Lamu and that area for about a week, then Nairobi for two days before our flight! So excited for that and for Maasai Mara/Lake Nakaru next weekend! We're getting to see so much of the country in such a short time!

Well I must sign out, but thanks for reading, miss everyone!

No comments: